Become a governor
Why become a governor?
- Governors provide strategic direction and leadership. They determine the vision and direction of travel for a college and hold senior managers to account for achieving their vision.
- By becoming a governor of West Nottinghamshire College Group you will be joining a high performing board and a very successful college.
- This is an opportunity to steer provision that benefits the local community, employers and students directly.
- Being a governor is hugely rewarding, it is your chance to make a real difference to the communities served by the college.
Do I have the qualities necessary to become a governor?
- Are you passionate about post-16 education and the impact that it has on people’s lives?
- Do you have financial, legal, HR, marketing or other industry experience that will add value to the college’s board?
- Are you committed to the communities of Mansfield and Ashfield and want to see them prosper through skills?
- Are you willing to work hard and give your time freely to make a difference?
If the answer to all or most of these questions is yes then you could be just the person we are looking for.
What will I be expected to do?
- Attend and participate in the full range of meetings as appropriate.
- Take a full role in development sessions and training events.
- Take responsibility for finding out about the college and its core business.
- Act as an ambassador and advocate for the college with external stakeholders.
- Bring your own experience, knowledge and skills to enhance the work of the college and the board generally.
- Take corporate responsibility for decisions made by the board, regardless of your own personal point of view.
How much time will I be expected to give?
- The full corporation board meets ten times per year and you will be expected to attend the vast majority of these meetings.
- You may also be asked to sit on a sub-committee which meet up to five times per year.
- There are also some scheduled development sessions which governors are encouraged to attend.
How do I become a governor?
Contact Maxine Bagshaw, the clerk to the corporation, either by email or via telephone 07912 218771.
How can I find out more?
More information about becoming a governor can be found in our downloadable guide.
Becoming a governor